Professor C. Michael Hall
Professor of Marketing
- B.A. (Hons) PhD (University of Western Australia, Perth)
- MA (University of Waterloo, Canada)
- Ph.D. (W. Aust.)
Business and Law Building, Room L221
Phone: +64 3 364 2987
Internal Phone: 8612
Department of Management, Marketing and Entrepreneurship
University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Born in the United Kingdom but Australian by passport, Michael is Professor in Marketing, joining the department at the end of 2006. Prior to this Michael has had positions including Professor in Tourism at the University of Otago, Professor of Tourism and Service Management at Victoria University of Wellington, and Honorary Professor in the Department of Marketing, Stirling University, Scotland. Michael has longstanding teaching, publication and research interests in tourism, regional development and social/green marketing with particular emphasis on issues of place branding and marketing as well as conservation and environmental change, event management and marketing, and the use of tourism as an economic development and conservation mechanism. More recently he has been undertaking research on wine and food marketing and gastronomy, which has required strenuous research in the field. He is the author and editor of over 40 books as well as over 250 journal articles and book chapters and has been active in a number of international research and business associations.
Research and Publications
You can find out about my research interests, projects I'm presently involved in and items I've published by visiting my entry in the UC Research Profile. Once you've completed your visit there, you can return to this page by clicking “Staff Web Page” under my photo on that page.
Links to Affiliated Chairs, Research Institutes and Universities
- Department of Social and Economic Geography, Umeå University.
- Department of Geography, University of Oulu , Finland.
- Department of Service Management, Lund University , Campus Helsingborg, Sweden.
- Channel View Publications (Aspects of Tourism Book Series, Current Issues in Tourism)
- Routledge Contemporary Geographies of Leisure, Tourism and Mobility.
- Tourism Geographies: An International Journal of Tourism Place, Space and Environment (through this link it is also possible to access other projects undertaken in conjunction with Professor Alan Lew).